No digging for dinos!
In the heart of the archaeological universe of Pointe-du-Buisson, young people will be able to dig the ground to find out what types of objects have been left by past populations over the last 5000 years. They will use the tools of the archaeologist, and imitating his actions, they will realize several steps of the scientific method in archaeology, from prospecting to the diffusion of information passing through the analysis of objects. They will have the opportunity to demystify the profession of archaeologist with interactive workshops that enable them to understand that men are their main subject of study!
On the program:
- Simulated archaeological digs;
- Testing of prehistoric tools ;
- Ecological workshop in the forest;
- Laboratory analysis;
- Thematic activities and games!
- To introduce students to the world of archaeology and cultural lifestyles of the past; • To stimulate their imagination by questioning, having a scientific approach and by pooling of results;
- To encourage cooperation between students through teamwork;
- To create a stimulating environment, using both imagination and practice.
- Discover that Pointe-du-Buisson hosted the first credited searching school in Quebec and is one of the first places of prehistoric archaeological research in Quebec; • Understand that archaeology depends on several related sciences (geography, history, geology, biology) to be able to reconstitute lifestyles.
- Discover, through handling of reconstituted tools, the main tasks performed daily during the prehistoric and contemporary history;
- Learn the various documentary sources that researchers consult in their discoveries;
- Discover the range of raised questions which the archaeologist attempts to answer through his research.
- Learn, through practice, the work of the archaeologist;
- Interpret behaviours of the past with the aid of artefacts;
- Find links between today’s society and the prehistory in order to understand society better;
- Establish links between the inhabited natural environment and the livelihoods that have been privileged to survive;
- Witness the diversity of techniques and wonders related to the way of life during prehistoric times.